16, rue de la Tombe-Issoire, 75014 Paris
1905 - Joseph Merklin/Joseph
1924 - Gaston Gutschenritter
1944 - Jules Isambart & Jean Perroux
1962 - Robert Masset
2003 - Marc Hedelin
2021 - Bernard Dargassies*
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Restoration works of Dargassies, 2020/2021:
Removal of all the dust, and re-harmonization to restore
its symphonic character while improving/modifying the
additions of the 1960s. The unusable stops of 1962 will
be removed. The console will be modernized, receive a
reliable electronic transmission system and a
combinator. See also: stoplist.
Source: Julien Lucquiaud, organiste titulaire (on facebook)
The current great organ of the Church of Saint Dominic of
Paris, installed in the church in 1944, replaced an instrument
of Cavaillé-Coll deemed too limited. It was built in 1904 for
the salon of Count Christian de Bertier de Sauvigny by
Merklin, which had been taken over by Gaston
Gutschenritter, foreman and workshop manager trained by
Joseph Merklin upon his retirement.
This first destination gives an explanation to the sumptuous
buffet, the details of which can be admired tribune.
Enhanced by a ledge with balusters, the buffet offers fluted
columns with Corinthian capitals that frame the façade pipes
and on which rest carved wooden garlands. The central part
of the buffet, in the hemicycle, comes to marry the organist's
It is said that this instrument was frequented by the biggest
names of the French organ in the salons of the Count of
Bertier (see photo): Louis Vierne, Charles-Marie Widor,
André Marchal, André Fleury, Maurice Duruflé ...
After the death of the Count of Bertier and his wife, the heirs
generously ceded this magnificent instrument to the parish
of Saint Dominic. The organ whose buffet had been slightly
reduced (see photos) was then installed on the South
tribune by Jules Isambart, organ builder, and Jean Perroux,
harmonist, both former workers of Cavaillé-Coll. The
instrument was inaugurated on October 20, 1945 with the
help of Marcel Dupré.
In 1962, it underwent a major restoration by the Society of
Former Gaston Gutschenritter Establishments. During this
restoration the organ, then pneumatic, was electrified and
enlarged by slightly retouching its composition. On this
occasion, the keyboard block was replaced as well as the
stop draughts by plastic tabs which are unfortunately not of
the best taste given the quality of the buffet. In 2003, the
instrument was restored again by Marc Hedelin.
The instrument currently has 36 stops (including 32 real
stops) spread over 3 56-note keyboards and a 32-note pedal.
The transmission is electric, it is equipped with two
expressive boxes (Swell and Positive ).
Text : Thierry Correard
Masses woth organ
Saturday 6:30, Sunday 9, 10:30 AM, 6:30 PM