de La Villette
112-114, avenue Simon-Bolivar, 75019 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1900 - Abbey (empty)
Orgue de choeur
Former organ of St-Pierre-de-Chaillot.
1907 - Mutin
1971 - Beuchet
1994/2014 - Dargassies
Photos: Jeroen de Haan
The construction of this church began in 1873, a
time when the Third Republic was not yet official.
The first architect and author of the plans was
Louis-Pierre Chauvet. Construction was completed
under the direction of Alfred Coulomb. The shrine
was dedicated to St. George, in memory of the
Archbishop of Paris, Archbishop Georges Darboy
(1813-1871), shot by the Communards.
It is built in a neo-Romanesque style, with few
openings, but beautiful stained-glass windows.
Nicolas Vasseur, Gabriel Bestion de
Famous organists in the past: Léo Delibes, Léon
Masses with organ
Saturday at 6:30 p.m., Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
(extraordinary form) and 11 a.m.
The organ on the tribune is built by Abbey in 1900.
Remaining authentic until 1967, it was then the subject
of a series of unfinished transformations.
In 1967, Jean Hermann began electrifying the
transmission, the following year Gutschenritter
transformed the piping. In 1974, Gonzalez transformed
the wind chests and the buffet.
Very degraded following the restoration of the church
in 1983, the instrumental part was dismantled and only
the buffet remained in place. Some of the pipes were
then integrated into the choir organ.
The choir organ comes from the Saint-Pierre de
Chaillot where it was installed by Mutin in 1907. Rebuilt
in 1971 by Beuchet (J. Picaud did the harmonization), it
was transferred to St Georges in 1995 by Bernard
Dargassies who reused part of the Abby piping from
the great-organ .