l'Auxerrois 1 - 2
2, Place du Louvre, 75001 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1771 - FH Clicquot/P Dallery
1791 – CF Clicquot/F Dallery
1809/23/41 - Dallery
1848 - Ducroquet
1864 - Merklin
1900 - Gutschenritter
1970/80 - Adrien Maciet
2008 - Laurent Plet
Photos organ: Jeroen de Haan
Since September 1, 2019, this Church is the home
of the liturgy of the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris.
The organ was built by Francois-Henri Clicquot for the
Sainte-Chapelle, using the case of Lavergne, designed by
Pierre-Noël Rousset (1757). It was transferred to Saint-
Germain-de-l'Auxerrois in 1791 and parts of at least two
other instruments were incorporated in the newly
assembled organ at that time. In the 19th century, the
diapasons were modified by Dallery, Ducroquet (under
the influence of Boëly) and Merklin, but its classical
grand jeu survived. Indeed, most reeds date from before
the revolution, although the cromorne of the positive
was added some 30 years ago (replacing a historic reed).
At that time, a new tierce was added too (replacing the
Salicional 4 of Ducroquet).
In the period 1995-2005 the organ was completely out of
order, but in 2005-2008 works were carried out to make
the organ playable again, without any change in the
historic materials . A study by Christian Lutz should form
the basis for choosing a strategy for a thorough
restauration of this unique instrument.
21 out of the 33 stops date from before the revolution.
Similar to the organs at St. Roch and St. Laurent, this organ
has two faces: a classical face and a 19th century-face.
Saint-Germain-de-l'Auxerrois was the former parish of the
kings of France. It was founded in the 7th century and
rebuilt several times, giving mixtures of several styles
(Roman, Gothic and Renaissance). During the Wars of
Religion, the souding of its bell marked the beginning of the
St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, when thousands of
Huguenots were murdered. The north tower was added in
1860 as part of the Mairie of the 1st Arrondissement.
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Famous organists in the past:
Louis-Claude Daquin (around 1738),
Alexandre Boëly (1840-1851)
Masses with organ
Saturday 6.30 p.m. Sunday 10, 11:30
a.m.; 5:45 (vespers) and 6:30 p.m.