2, avenue de Tourville, 75007 Paris
1687 - Thierry
1693/1718 - Julien Tribuot
1761 - Clicquot
1806 - Somer
1853 - Gadault
1921 - Abbey
1957/62/80 - Beuchet-Debierre
2012 - Dargassies*
* on the Swell, the Plein jeu has 3 ranks and the
Cymbale has 2 ranks.
Photo: Jeroen de Haan
The Hotel des Invalides was completed in 1676 and
housed up to 4,000 war veterans. Originally only a number
of barracks were planned to accomodate injured soldiers,
but king Louis XIV chose a design by architect Liberal
Bruant which consisted of a large impressive building with
a royal courtyard and church.
The church Saint-Louis was added as an annex to the
complex. It was built by Jules Hardouin Mansart after the
design by Libéral Bruant, the architect of the Hôtel des
Invalides. The church was known as the pensioners' Choir
but later referred to as the Soldiers' church. Soldiers were
required to attend the daily mass here. The church is
connected directly with the Royal chapel, better known as
the Dôme des Invalides, separated by a glass wall. The
107-metre high dome of the Royal chapel was completed
in 1690, the chapel itself in 1735.
The design of the magnificent organcase (the only
representative of the Louis-XIV era) is attributed to Jules
Hardouin-Mansart. Positif and Grand-Orgue are
superimposed instead of being seperated by the console.
The instrument was built by Alexandre Thierry (1687).
Major revisions were carried out by Charles Gadault in
1853 and Beuchet-Debierre in 1955-1957. Eleven stops
dates from before the revolution (Thierry, 1687); about
fifteen stops date from Gadault, mainly reeds and flutes in
the Pedal; all the other stops are from Beuchet-Debierre.
In 2012, Dagassies completed comprehensive
maintenance and restoration works.
Susan Landale, Philippe Brandeis et Eric Ampeau
Masses with organ
Sunday 11 AM
ORGUES DE PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z