Saint Marcel, the ninth bishop of Paris, was one of the three patron saints of Lutèce with Saint Denis and Saint Geneviève.He died around 436 and was buried along the Roman road leading from Lutece to Lyon and Italy. The oratory above his tomb became a place of pilgrimage that gave birth to the small town of Saint-Marcel. In the 6th century, a chapel was raised there. Rebuilt at the end of the 10th century, it became a collegiale in 1158. It was one of the churches of the Lissiers families of the Gobelin factory. It was demolished in 1806.On July 26, 1856, the foundation stone of a neo-Gothic church was laid. This church remained in service until Christmas 1962 under the name of Saint-Marcel-de-la-Salpêtrière. When this building was in danger to become a ruin, it was decided to build a new concrete church in the same location using the architect Daniel Michelin. Inaugurated on December 18, 1966 by Cardinal Feltin, it was consecrated on April 9, 1967.The entire bell tower, which consists of the porch, the narthex, the reception hall, the main staircase and the elevator, was built later, in 1993, by Jean Michelin, the son of Daniel Michelin. The porch and bell tower were inaugurated by Cardinal Lustiger on October 21, 1993.
Organiste titulaireVéra NikitineConcerts RarementMesses avec orgueDimanche à 10h30Vidéos-Photo de l’orgue : Vincent Hildebrandt
D1This instrument was built by Beuchet-Debierre in 1967. Elements from the instrument located in the old church wer reused. In 1981, J. Picaud carried out a dusting and a general tuning.