The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © 2020 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z

Saint Merry 1 - 2

76, rue de la Verrerie, 75004 Paris Orgue de tribune

1651 - Jean et François De Héman

1719/36 - Collard

1755 - Slodtz

1778/82 - F.H. Clicquot (1778/82)

1816 - Dallery

1822 - Abbey

1857 - Cavaillé-Coll

1947 - Gonzalez

2000 - Dargassies

IV/64 (58) -

mechanical traction (manuals)

electrical (stops) - stoplist
St-Merry was built between 1510 and 1552 in a flamboyant Gothic style, replcing earlier churches, dating back to the 7th century. In the 18th century, some renovations were carried out in a baroque style. The bell tower contains the oldest bell in Paris, cast in 1331. The church has the same layout as Notre-Dame cathedrals: the length of the choir is almost the same as the length of the nave, hence its nickname "Small Notre-Dame". The stained glass windows of the nave dates back to the 16th century.
The organ case is made by Germain Pilon in 1647. The instrument itself was built by Jean and Francois De Héman, probably using parts of a former organ. The tribune and the positif-case were modified by the brothers Slodtz in 1755. In 1778, 1782 and 1791, the organ was rebuilt by Francois-Henri Clicquot and Claude- Francois Clicquot. In 1857 the organ was reconstructed by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. In 1947, Victor Gonzalez carried out a hybrid restauration, adding some new stops. In 1999-2000, Dargassies restored the Barker machine, the wind system, added a new air-supply and repaired some urgent problems concerning the pipework. A substantial part of the pipework dates still from before the revolution. The wind-chest of the GO and positif are from Clicquot. The Montre 16' GO and the Trompette 8' GO dates to the 17th century. The majority of the principals, flutes and anches are from Clicquot. Site of the organ Photo below: Jeroen de Haan
Organiste titulaire Jean-Marc Leblanc - Stéphane Béchy Famous organists in the past: Nicolas Lebégue (1630-1702), Jean-François Dandrieu (1681-1738) et Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921), Norbert Dufourq (1923-1990). Concerts Seldomly

Masses with organ

Saturday 6.30 p.m. Sunday 10 a.m. Videos 3 Noëls français (Bechy) Böhm Praeludium und fuge C-dur (Litaize) Presentation of the organ after the transformation of Victor Gonzalez (1942-47) by André Marchal (organ) and Norbert Dufourcq (explications). (Enregistrement EMI repris par ERATO Novembre 1973)
In the plan to maintain the cultural heritage of the City of Paris, this organ is among the four prestigious and emblematic instruments, classified as Historic Monuments, requiring a fundamental restoration. Restoration issues Inside a beautiful 1651 buffet, the work of carpenter- sculptor Germain Pilon, several of the most famous organ builders succeeded the original creators, the De Heman Brothers, as early as the 17th century. From that time on, the organ was profoundly transformed by François-Henri Clicquot (1778-82), then by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll (1854-57) and Victor Gonzalez (1942-47). At each period, the organ is rebuilt under the influence of organists to make it fit to serve new music. Enriched with new stops, the instrument features 64 stops inside a buffet originally designed for 35, making it the densest organ in Paris but the most difficult to maintain. In the 1950s, it became the perfect example of the "neo-classical" organ, a springboard for renewed interest in organ music and for the emergence of a new musical aesthetic carried by composers such as Vierne, Tournemire, Dupré, Fleury, Duruflé, Langlais, Alain, Grunenwald, Litaize, Messiaen, all of whom played the organ. If everyone agrees on the point of de-densifying the instrument, the question has been asked as to which state to return it? The National Commission of Historic Monuments selected the scenario of the return to the state "Gonzalez" of 1947 out of the 8 restoration scenarios identified by Roland Galtier, technician- counsel of the State. The challenge is to sublimate the idea of 18th-century sounds in 1945, retaining new sounds that serve 20th-century composers. Operation Call to Patronage Programme: 2.060.000 euros, exclusive the costs associated with the project management, which will be borne by the City of Paris. Source
The organs of Paris

Saint Merry 1 - 2

76, rue de la Verrerie, 75004 Paris Orgue de tribune

1651 - Jean et François De Héman

1719/36 - Collard

1755 - Slodtz

1778/82 - F.H. Clicquot (1778/82)

1816 - Dallery

1822 - Abbey

1857 - Cavaillé-Coll

1947 - Gonzalez

2000 - Dargassies

IV/64 (58) -

mechanical traction (manuals)

electrical (stops) - stoplist
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z
The organ case is made by Germain Pilon in 1647. The instrument itself was built by Jean and Francois De Héman, probably using parts of a former organ. The tribune and the positif-case were modified by the brothers Slodtz in 1755. In 1778, 1782 and 1791, the organ was rebuilt by Francois-Henri Clicquot and Claude-Francois Clicquot. In 1857 the organ was reconstructed by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. In 1947, Victor Gonzalez carried out a hybrid restauration, adding some new stops. In 1999-2000, Dargassies restored the Barker machine, the wind system, added a new air-supply and repaired some urgent problems concerning the pipework. A substantial part of the pipework dates still from before the revolution. The wind-chest of the GO and positif are from Clicquot. The Montre 16' GO and the Trompette 8' GO dates to the 17th century. The majority of the principals, flutes and anches are from Clicquot. Site of the organ Photo below: Jeroen de Haan
Organiste titulaire Jean-Marc Leblanc - Stéphane Béchy Famous organists in the past: Nicolas Lebégue (1630- 1702), Jean-François Dandrieu (1681-1738) et Camille Saint-Saëns (1835-1921), Norbert Dufourq (1923- 1990). Concerts Seldomly

Masses with organ

Saturday 6.30 p.m. Sunday 10 a.m. Videos 3 Noëls français (Bechy) Böhm Praeludium und fuge C-dur (Litaize) Presentation of the organ after the transformation of Victor Gonzalez (1942-47) by André Marchal (organ) and Norbert Dufourcq (explications). (Enregistrement EMI repris par ERATO Novembre 1973)