The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © 2021 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Saint Paul

Saint Louis 1 2

99, rue Saint-Antoine, 75004 Paris Orgue de tribune

1805 - Dallery (buffet)

1842 - Louis Callinet

1855 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll

1871 - Narcisse Martin

1930 - Abbey

1972 - Gonzalez

III/39 (43) - electrical traction - stoplist

Organiste titulaire Gabriel Bestion de Camboulas Famous organists in the past: M. Corette, J. Beauvarlet-Charpentier Concerts Seldom

Masses with organ

Saturday 7 PM, Sunday 9:30 and 11 AM and 7 PM Videos Gabriel Bestion de Camboulas
Below: The old organ of Saint-Louis (built at the start of the XVIIth century)
photo GO: Jeroen de Haan The old organ of the Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis church was built in 1643 and many times enlarged and reworked by Enocq and Clicquot in 1760. The latter realized the addition of a positive. Dismantled in 1791, it disappeared during the Revolution. In 1805, Saint-Paul acquired an almost complete organ from the chapel of the Hôtel-Dieu. Dallery used this material and placed it in a new buffet. It benefited from two overhauls carried out by Louis Callinet, then Aristide Cavaillé-Coll around 1855. The latter added a new Récit Expressive. Between 1867 and 1871, a complete reconstruction of the instrument was carried out by the Martin from Rouen, which reached 36 stops on three keyboards. In 1930, a new overhaul was carried out by Abbey and in 1972, the instrument was recomposed in a neo-classical spirit by Gonzalez, who re-harmonized the instrument and made transformations of stops. In 1999, then in 2005, thanks to the City of Paris, two phases of work were carried out by Bernard Dargassies who restored the instrument in the spirit of Narcisse Martin, bringing it to 39 stops. However, the stops of Voix Humaine 8, Clairon 4 and the bass of the Bassoon-Oboe initially planned for the Récit are still vacant.
St. Paul's Church was built between 1627 and 1641 by the Jesuits with the financial assistance of Louis XIII (1601-1643). It took over from the Chapel of St. Louis erected in 1580 by Cardinal Charles de Bourbon, founder of the professed house of the Jesuits in Paris. St. Paul-Saint-Louis was the first Jesuit church in the capital. According to the will of Ignatius of Loyola, the Jesuit fathers had become the directors of conscience of the kings of France. Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis bears their mark: Étienne Martellange carries out the plans and leads the work; François Derand continues his work (front and dome); Charles Turmel took care of the interior decoration. All three are members of the Society of Jesus. In 1762, when Louis XV chased the Jesuits, the church was entrusted to local clerics.
The organs of Paris

Saint Paul

Saint Louis 1 2

99, rue Saint-Antoine, 75004 Paris Orgue de tribune

1805 - Dallery (buffet)

1842 - Louis Callinet

1855 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll

1871 - Narcisse Martin

1930 - Abbey

1972 - Gonzalez

III/39 (43) - electrical traction - stoplist

ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Organiste titulaire Gabriel Bestion de Camboulas Famous organists in the past: M. Corette, J. Beauvarlet-Charpentier Concerts Seldom

Masses with organ

Saturday 7 PM, Sunday 9:30 and 11 AM and 7 PM Videos Gabriel Bestion de Camboulas
photo GO: Jeroen de Haan The old organ of the Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis church was built in 1643 and many times enlarged and reworked by Enocq and Clicquot in 1760. The latter realized the addition of a positive. Dismantled in 1791, it disappeared during the Revolution. In 1805, Saint-Paul acquired an almost complete organ from the chapel of the Hôtel-Dieu. Dallery used this material and placed it in a new buffet. It benefited from two overhauls carried out by Louis Callinet, then Aristide Cavaillé-Coll around 1855. The latter added a new Récit Expressive. Between 1867 and 1871, a complete reconstruction of the instrument was carried out by the Martin from Rouen, which reached 36 stops on three keyboards. In 1930, a new overhaul was carried out by Abbey and in 1972, the instrument was recomposed in a neo-classical spirit by Gonzalez, who re-harmonized the instrument and made transformations of stops. In 1999, then in 2005, thanks to the City of Paris, two phases of work were carried out by Bernard Dargassies who restored the instrument in the spirit of Narcisse Martin, bringing it to 39 stops. However, the stops of Voix Humaine 8, Clairon 4 and the bass of the Bassoon-Oboe initially planned for the Récit are still vacant.