18, rue de la Chapelle , 75018 Paris
1838, 1901 - Abbey
1910, 1921 - ??
1946 - ??
1962 - Beuchet
Saint Denys de la Chapelle: no pipe-organ
Photo of the organ: Vincent Hildebrandt
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
The organ comes from the nearby Church of St Denys de la
Chapelle. It was built in 1838 by John Abbey and had a
Renaissance style buffet. In 1901, Abbey increased its
composition to 14 stops.
In 1910, the dilapidated state of the tribune forced its
transfer to a side gallery.
In 1928, the dilapidated condition of the building forced its
dismantling. The organ was then stored in a hangar in the
city of Paris and was reassembled in the new church of St.
Joan of Arc in 1946. It then replaced an instrument of which
little is known.
Beuchet was in charge of the reassembly work. He took the
opportunity to remove the Renaissance buffet and added 2
stops. In 1962, the instrument was moved to the tribune
and two stops were changed. Almost half of the pipes date
still to Abbey.