Sacré-Coeur 1 2
35, rue du chevalier-de-la-Barre, 75018 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1898 - Cavaillé-Coll
1919 - Mutin
1931 - Cavaillé-Coll
1948 - Jean Perroux
1959 - Beuchet-Debierre
1985 - Renaud
2003 - Dargassies
2013 - Muhleisen
IV/79 - mechanical traction
Photos GO/console: Pierre Marteau
Photos interior: Victor Weller
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z
Baron Albert de l'Espée, who already owned two large
Cavaillé-Coll organs, ordered an organ for 100,000 francs to
occupy a gigantic room in his 20,000 m2 Ibarritz castle in the
Basque Country (south of Biarritz). The huge organ hall was
22 meters long, 14 meters wide and 17 meters high. The
organ built for this occasion by Cavaillé-Coll was a copy of his
best concert organ located in the hall of the Albert Hall in
Sheffield since 1873.
The instrument of 1989 included 70 stops on four keyboards
(61 notes) and a 32-note pedalboard. The amphitheater
console included the draw for double-acting stops and
pneumatic motors operated the transmissions. Three
divisions had expression and there were three 32 ’pedal and
three undulating stops.
In 1903, the baron wishing to sell his castle, sold his organ to
Charles Mutin, ACC’s successor, for an unknown price. He
remained in the workshops of Paris until 1913 and was
transferred to the Sacré-Coeur in 1914 where he was housed
in the buffet built by the architect Lucien Magne.
The instrument was inaugurated by Marcel Dupré, Abel
Decaux and CM Widor in October 1919. On this occasion
Dupré played the "Salvum fac populum tuum" for organ and
trumpet choir by C.M. Widor.
Restorations took place in 1930-1931 by Société Cavaillé-Coll,
in 1948 by Jean Perroux and in 1959-60 by Beuchet-Debierre.
Several stops were added to obtain a more "neo-classical"
character. During that restoration, the central part of the
organcase was suppressed on demand of the clergy to
expose the stained glass window behind the organ. This
meant that the Montre had to be shifted and the swellcase of
the Solo had to be divided into two parts (in 1985, the inferior
part of the removed case was rebuild).
The latest restoration was in 1985 by Jean Renaud from
Nantes with the aim to get back to the original symphonic
character of the organ. Since then, the organ has not
undergone any major work other than the restoration of the
main wind tunnel, located in the attic of the basilica. This
work was carried out by Muhleisen in 2013.
This organ has various exceptional characteristics:
three of four manuals are expressif
it has manuals of 61 tones
it has reeds on the Solo 'en chamade' of 16', 8', and 4',
hidden behind the buffet
Approx 70% of the pipes is of Cavaillé-Coll.
Source: www.facebook.com/aristidecavaillec0ll and Victor Weller.
Claudine Barthel, Philippe Brandeis, Gabriel Marghieri.
Only Christmas Eve 10p.m.
Masses with organ
Friday 3p.m.; sunday 11a.m., 6p.m., 10p.m., vespers