Place Gerbert, 75015 Paris
1901 - Louis Debierre
1950/72 - Beuchet-Debierre
1986 - Sebire/Glandaz
1999 - Dargassies
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z
Saint-Lambert de Vaugirard is the work of the architect
Claude Naissant. It is one of the most beautiful examples
of neo-Romanesque architecture in Paris. Built between
1848 and 1856, its interior offers a relatively stripped-down
universe, including the magnificent neo-Gothic altarpiece
of the axial chapel with its angels, one of them playing the
portable organ and, in the left transept, a panel which
represents Saint Lambert, surrounded by episodes of his
life, made by Dorothée Sers-Hermann.
Masses with organ
Saturday 5 p.m.,
Sunday 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 6.30 p.m.
The present instrument was built by Louis Debierre from
Nantes in 1901, replacing a modest 12-stop organ behind
the choir, built by Merklin. Until that time, only an empty
buffet was installed on the tribune, but, topped with a
single row of façade pipes, there was an illusion of the
presence of a large organ.
In 1950, Joseph Beuchet-Debierre restored and enlarged
the instrument by bringing it from 32 to 35 stops. Various
maintenance works were carried out by Beuchet-Debierre
in 1972, by Sébire & Glandaz in 1986 and by Bernard
Dargassies in 1999.
The console, signed by ‘Louis Debierre de Nantes’ and
composed of 3 keyboards of 56 notes and a German 30-
note concave pedal, is separated from the organ case (the
organist facing the organ). It is concealed by an oak façade
with a clock in its centre and topped by a pediment in the
neo-Gothic style of the buffet.
The three keyboards are mechanically powered by a Barker
machine*, traction is mechanical for the pedal and
pneumatic for the stops. The instrument has 35 stops of
high quality pipes almost entirely signed by Louis Debierre.
(Text: Thierry Correard, translated into English by
This organ has a special, unique system of Debierre to adjust,
on the keyboards, the pressing of the key and the drawing of
the valves, which allows to remedy small occasional unwanted
noises (‘cornements’) due to bad climatic conditions in the
There are only three modifications made to this instrument in
the past, by Beuchet-Debierre in 1950: on the GO the Gambe 4
was replaced by a Doublette 2, on the Positif a Nasard et
Tierce were added and on the Swell a Plein Jeu III.
This is the only organ of Louis Debierre still existent in Paris
(besides the poyphone at the ‘Chapelle des missions
*the patented Debierre version of the Barker machine