du Mont 1 - 2
Place Sainte-Geneviève, 75005 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1636 - Pescheur
1656 - Jean de Héman/Pierre Désenclos
1679 - J. Carouge
1717 - J. Tribuot
1766/77 - Somer/Clicquot
1863/73 - Cavaillé-Coll
1911 - Puget
1928 - Koenig
1956 - Beuchet-Debierre
1975 - Gonzalez
1992/2012 - Dargassies
Photo: Jeroen de Haan
St-Etienne-du-Mont was built between 1492 and 1626 as the
chapel of an abbey dedicated to the patroness of Paris, St.
Geneviève. A chapel contains a reliquary, though her bones
were burned during the revolution.
The site itself is much older, dating back to the 6th century ,
when Clovis (466-511) founded the abbey. Remains of the
ancient abbey, situated south of the church, comprise the
Tour de Clovis (Tower of Clovis, lower part 11th century), the
cloister (15th century) and the reflectory (1220), which are
now part of the Lycée Henri IV.
The church displays a mixture of Renaissance and Gothic
styles. The vaults of the apse were built in 1491, the chancel
in 1537, the gallery in 1545 and the vaults of the nave and
the transept were finished in 1580. The portal was built in
1610 and the bell tower in 1624. In particular the rood
screen (jubé, probably by Pierre Beaucorps in 1530) crossing
the nave like a bridge with spiral staircases on either side is
an unique feature of the church, being the only rood screen
which survived in Paris. The wood pulpit (1651) is supported
by Samson with a jawbone in hand and slain lion at his feet.
The fourth chapel on the right from the entrance contains
16th-century stained glass. Mid-19th century, the chapelle
des cathéchismes was added.
The organcase of Saint Etienne du Mont dates from 1633
and was built by Jean Buron. It is a real masterpiece and
perhaps the most beautiful organ case in Paris and the
oldest case which is preserved completely.
Pierre le Pescheur finished the instrument itself in 1636. The
organ was badly damaged in a fire in 1760. Francois-Henri
Clicquot rebuilt the organ in 1777, completing the works of
Nicolas Somer, who died in 1771. Aristide Cavaillé-Coll
revised the organ again in 1863. The third revision was
carried out by Beuchet-Debierre in 1956. He placed the
pedal windchests outside the organ and the windchest of
the récit beneath the organ, replaced the old console by
additional stops of the positif, brought up the stop list to 83
(of which 56 are placed inside the organ case), electrified the
traction and placed a new console in the north transept
gallery. In 1975, Gonzalez revoiced the instrument
39 stops are still from before the revolution, but they are
severly altered (only 7 stops are still located on their orignal
place); 6 stops are of Cavaillé-Coll.
Thierry Escaisch & Vincent Warnier
Famous organists in the past: Guillaume Lasceux (1774-1819),
Maurice Duruflé (1929-1986).
Masses with organ
Saturday 6.45 PM Sunday 11.00 AM, 6.45 PM
ORGUES DE PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt HOME S-Z